Tuesday, February 19, 2008

1 down...just 15 more to go!

Hi Everyone, Well today was another "first" that I can happily check off my list...My first Chemo treatment - and it went very well. Prior to my treatment I was scheduled for a post-op exam with my surgeon. While waiting for Dr. Janecik in the exam room, Nurse Vicki brought in another Chemo patient who had just completed the same regiment that I was to start today. Vicki thought that it might be helpful to me to be able to talk to Donna about her experience. Donna is this very sweet and energetic and beautiful lady who is probably in her 60's. She told me that she thought she was old enough to be my mother, and that if she could do all 18 treatments so could I! Donna told me to keep my beautiful smile and a positive attitude and that I'd do just great. She lifted her sparkly red cap to expose her bald head and she said, "and I will have hair again!" She told me to call her anytime I wanted/needed to talk....how sweet was she!!! Donna's another Angel that I'm so grateful to have met. After the exam, Dr. Janecik determined that there was still a bit of healing that needed to take place before they could utilize my lower port. The lower port would be used to administer Chemo 2 of the 3 days within an 8 day period. Instead of delaying the Chemo treatments, Dr. Janecik and his aggressive style decided that I could get all 3 days worth of Chemo put into my upper port all in one day!! So that's what we did - it took about 4.5 hours. During treatment I met another Angel, Debbie. Today was her last day for treatment and she was celebrating with friends and family in the treatment room. Debbie strolled over with her I.V. in tow, and talked to me at great length about how to avoid nausea, dealing with hair loss and wearing wigs, keeping a daily record of meds and diet, etc. She gave me lots of great advice which I know will serve me well on this journey...thank you Debbie!! Jerry, always my steady, was fully prepared with a large fully packed tote and cooler, right down to a pair of socks which I gladly traded in my flip-flops for in the first 5 minutes of treatment. The Chemo room (a nice peaceful room with about 12 LA-Z Boy recliners) was standing room only, and it just so happened that the patient sitting next to me was just finishing up her treatment and Jerry got to spend the entire afternoon in the chair right next to me. I couldn't have asked for more, it was such a comfort to have him at my side today....and always. Jerry and I are so in awe at how Dr. Janicek's staff is so caring and personable - the entire staff genuinely cares for the patients as witnessed by the hugs they administer on a regular basis. There was also a great deal of energy drawn from the other patients in the room - lots of sharing and great conversation goes on constantly. There is definitely strength in numbers. Lastly, I am extremely grateful to Jerry for all his love and support, his intense level of caring and his unfathomable love for our family. I couldn't ask for a better partner, husband and best friend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I can only say that that is my brother! You both know that if you need more support I will be there.. Love you all and .....
Ang love u lots and send you lots of energy and love!

Jana, Chris & Kayla

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your first day went well. Glad that you found such a wonderful doctor and staff and know that your positive attitude and strength (along with Jerry's) will see you through the next 15 sessions. Lots of prayers continue, and will continue, to help make things as good as possible.
Love you, Mom

lambert said...

Dear Angie,and McCamey Family, The Lamberts want you to know we are all saying our prayers and our thoughts are with you everyday. We know how much support you have, but please know if you need anything we are here. Your courage,strength, and love will get you through this. Your words are so powerful, and encouraging. Fondly,The Lamberts

Anonymous said...

Angie, I don't know if I am repeating my message or not, but this is Maria from Aztec, you worked there when I had my mastectomy. chemo and radiation. Please call if you have any questions or if you just want to vent (I needed that a lot) I am praying for you.

Maria
480-861-0286

Anonymous said...

Angie,
You are such an amazing an inspirational person and I know that you are going to make it through this with so much support and love around you. We all know how much Jerry loves you and kyle and how your strength together will fight this. Your little league family is thinking of you and saying prayers for you every day. Thank you for letting all of your friends be here for you and be able to hear from you and communicate with you this way. You are in our thoughts every day and I am sending you big warm hugs. Marni Hirshman